Campus Center Planning Committee
Minutes from Meeting on January 12, 2006
In attendance: Peter Bennett, Ken Bozeman, Harold Ginke, Lynn Hagee, Steve Hirby, Joy Jordan, Nathan Litt, Patrick Niles, Paul Shrode, Nancy Truesdell
Minutes from November 28, 2005 were approved as written, and minutes from January 5, 2006 were approved with minor changes. The committee discussed the rotation of minute-takers when Nancy is unable to do it, and we confirmed the process for approval of the minutes so that Steve Hirby can post them on the webpage.
Our next meeting will be with representatives from Uihlein-Wilson to discuss environmental considerations for the Campus Center as well as the LEEDS certification process. The committee will not meet on Thursday, January 26 due to the trustees meeting. We discussed committee members’ availability for sessions during the January 31-February 2 workshop with Uihlein-Wilson and KSS architects.
The main order of business was to determine small group discussion session topics and potential invitees. The following summarizes the outcome of that discussion by identifying the topic, those to invite (recognizing that many of the sessions will also be widely publicized so that anyone interested can attend), and which committee members will be responsible for coordination and facilitation of each session:
1) Student organization/activities floor – LUCC, publications staff, students involved in campus media, some RLA staff – hold in Riverview Lounge [Paul, with help from Peter and Nathan]
2) Faculty/staff session – Open invitation to discuss what would attract faculty/staff to use the Campus Center (including discussion about Cafe, Campus Store, dining venues) – perhaps offer it at both a TR 11:10am time slot and a MW 4:15pm time slot [Joy]
3) Catering Users group – catering staff, Lynn H., admissions, development, President’s office, LI, BOS, DAC, Ellen M. from Conservatory office, Patrick [Lynn]
4) Dining Discussion (including design/flow of LL2 and meal plan options) – student welfare committee, LUCC, Jodie B., Terri O., broad student invitation – hold in Riverview [Patrick, Nathan, Peter]
5) Student programming – SOUP, performance set-up crew, Residence Life staff members, representatives from heavy space users such as swing dancers [Paul, Peter, Nathan]
6) Retail Food Options (hold after #4 above) – broad student invitation including student welfare, LUCC, vegan/vegetarians – hold in Riverview [Nathan, Peter, Patrick]
7) Performance needs – theatre faculty, Conservatory faculty, DAC, Melee, LUMP, Con Artists, ensemble directors [Ken]
It was agreed that technology will be discussed as part of any/all of the sessions rather than as a separate topic. As committee members in charge of each session schedule a date/time, they should notify Nancy so we can avoid overlapping sessions. The hope is that these discussion sessions will occur during Term II.
Next meeting: Thursday, January 19 (4:30-6pm) in Library 401.